We had a rough morning, y’all.
Katie’s first playdate with a new friend had to be rescheduled because her brother so inconveniently spiked a fever and was a pile of misery. Two piles of misery, if I’m honest.
Her disappointment, combined with his lethargy, called for drastic measures.
And sometimes, my friends, the only answer to a rough morning is baking something fantastic.
My pantry isn’t exactly stocked with baking ingredients since the big whole foods purge this spring.
Blondies were the perfect solution since they require very few ingredients (all of which are pretty basic) and they’re ready to eat in no time.
These brought a ray of sunshine into an otherwise gloomy day…
Recipe for the blondie base adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup peanut butter M&Ms
- 1/8 cup dark chocolate bits
- One mopey helper
- Butter an 8×8 glass pan.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar in the bowl of your mixer and beat until smooth.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add salt and then slowly incorporate the flour and beat until smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix in M&Ms and chocolate bits.*
- Pour into buttered glass pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 22-25 minutes, or until cooked in the middle and golden brown on the outside.
- Cool on rack completely before cutting.
*For an amazing list of ideas creative ways to customize these blondies, visit Smitten Kitchen.